National Safety Month: Fall Safety and Prevention
Since the day we were founded in 1886, Knickerbocker Roofing has strived to play an active role in our community, providing comprehensive safety training and education. Specializing in slip and fall safety, our expert team is committed to enhancing overall safety in the roofing and construction sectors.
While we focus on safety year-round, there is no better time to highlight our efforts and good safety practices than in June, National Safety Month. Organized by the National Safety Council (NSC), National Safety Month aims to raise awareness of safety practices in order to reduce workplace injuries and fatalities.
This year, the first week of National Safety Month is centered on the theme “Stand Up to Falls” — particularly pertinent to our industry. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), falls are one of the most common causes of work-related injury and death. In the construction, contractor, and roofing industries, workers are regularly at risk of falls. OSHA lists a variety of fall-prevention safety regulations, but regulations are often overlooked — or ignored for the sake of expediency.
With over 75-100 ongoing employees, Knickerbocker is proud to be a pillar of our community. It is our responsibility to keep both our employees, customers — and by extension, our entire community — safe from the dangers of slips and falls. This is a responsibility we take very seriously.
To help keep your employees safe, here are a few tips pulled straight from the Knickerbocker safety playbook:
- Train all employees in safety procedures regularly (at the very least, annually).
- Require employees to use all relevant safety gear at all times while on-site — no exceptions.
- Focus on individual safety aspects (ex: scaffolding safety) to ensure workers have thorough knowledge of various measures.
- Require compliance checks by project supervisors.
- Have independent safety consultants perform regular site inspections.
- Upgrade to modern equipment whenever possible.
- Maintain equipment carefully, thoroughly, and regularly.
These are just a few of the common-sense safety procedures we adhere to at Knickerbocker Roofing, and we urge you to follow them as well. Knickerbocker Roofing is working hard to promote National Safety Month both locally and nationally, as we consider it part of our job to reliably protect our workers and the community at large.