What You Need to Know in Roofing Now That Spring is Just Around the CornerLeave a Comment
Here at Knickerbocker Roofing, we’re excited to be welcoming in spring! Not only is the green growing back, but longer days and warmer temperatures make the season that much more inviting. With the change in season also comes a good opportunity to check out any damage that may have been done to your roof during the cold winter months. Snow, ice and winds can cause damage that can be hard to see unless you’re looking directly at it, and putting off repairs can lead to even further damage.
Roofing maintenance is an important part of home and building ownership, and with National Roofing Week coming up June 4th-10th, there’s no better time to get started. For any home or business owner, there are a few simple steps you can follow for spring maintenance and repair:
- Clean your downspouts and gutters, but remember safety first. Don’t use a rickety ladder or put a ladder on uneven ground.
- Clean out large, visible debris first, then clean out smaller fragments with a garden hose.
- Visually inspect your roof, looking for buckling or curling in the shingles. This can mean they need to be replaced.
- Inspect the areas around any chimneys, pipes, roof drains, or HVAC connections for any penetrations on the roof.
- On the inside, you can look for water damage on the ceiling or in the walls. Water damage is usually noticeable and causes slight to moderate staining.
- If you’re not comfortable getting on your roof, call a credible contractor.
While there are many maintenance issues business owners can take care of themselves, roofing inspections are commonly best left to a professional. Not only can a roofing expert pinpoint problems or potential issues, but they can figure out the best course of action to fixing the problem. At Knickerbocker Roofing, we’ve been a family owned business for over 125 years, and we look forward to working with business owners to provide roofing solutions.
We invite you to read our blog, follow us on Twitter, and connect with us on LinkedIn. As experts in the roofing industry, we look forward to meeting you and exceeding your expectations.